Writers' Club of Pasadena
Pasadena, Texas

 
Contents
  Meetings
  News
  History
  Membership
  Contests
  Red Bowl Awards
  Bylaws
  Links
 

 
Copyright 2008
Writers' Club of Pasadena



 

  Contact us
 

 

 

 

 

Developed By
Roger Bender

   
History - of the Writer's Club of Pasadena
One of Pasadena's oldest organizations, the Writers Club of Pasadena was organized in April of 1966.
Twenty-seven members met for the first meeting at the former Houston First Savings Building Community Room at 1202 East Southmore.
Since then, the club has met at the Pasadena Public Library, the Community Room at Pasadena Mall, and various churches and homes in the Pasadena area.
The club now meets in the South Houston Chamber of Commerce Building
 
The first officers were:
  President,                      Mrs. Doris Sadler;  
  1st Vice-President,      Mrs. Sibyl Hancock  
  2nd Vice-President,     Ray Varga;  
  Secretary,                     Mrs. Ethel Lindamood;  
  Treasurer,                     Mrs. Loretta LaPlant;  
  Program Chairman,      Charlsie Crouchet.
 
 
From the beginning, the objectives of the club were
  "to encourage members to write and share themselves and their thoughts with others without fear of hurtful criticism or misunderstandings."
 
Among the club's many guest speakers have been:
  Pearl S. Buck in 1966;  
  Western author, Larry McMurty;  
  editors, Dick Nichol, and Mary Ellen Wilson;  
  Maxine Holder; and  
  novelist, B.K. Reeves.